25 Questions with Penelope Douglas



It's no longer a secret that Penelope is brilliant and her books are some of the best in the romance category, so I (herearethereaders) and my friend (andraasboks) prepared an interview with this extraordinary human being. We hope you'll enjoy it! :)))






Q1: Bully was your first novel. What determined you to write it? 

A: I was reading a lot of romance at the time and I discovered New Adult. It was just hitting the scene, books like Beautiful Disaster, Slammed, Easy... and then I read Fallen Crest High by Tijan and I really wanted more books like that, but there weren't any. So I decided to write one. I was in a career where I wasn't especially happy. I didn't feel like I'd found my calling, and so writing Bully on nights and weekends was a labor of love. I felt like I was growing again and moving toward something. It was a great year. 






Q2: How did you feel when Bully was published?

A: Well, at first I was nervous. My editor suggested I shop around for a publisher, because she thought the book was really good, but I didn't want to wait. I didn't expect to make anything off the book, I just wanted feedback. So I self-published. I gave it away for free for three days to gain exposure, and that was really all it took. I started watching the number of downloads, and quickly became very excited as my Facebook page gained likes, people posted on my wall how much they loved it, and started making me teasers and videos. It was very surreal, because I thought no one would read it. My expectations were low and all of a sudden was the talk to the town. It was amazing.









Q3: Have you been expecting for Jared to conquer so many hearts?

A: Oh, gosh, no. Lol. My father hated Jared, my editor had her reservations about him... I didn't expect much love for him, but it was a learning experience every artist should realize... If YOU love it, you're not alone. There are people in the world who love what you love.









Q4: The other volumes of the Fall Away series were planned or your ideas came while writing Bully?

A: The idea for Madoc's story came toward at the end of Bully, but no, originally Bully was a stand-alone.






 





Q5: Have you thought about someone particularly when you created the characters of the Fall Away series?

A: No, not really. Real people never look as good as the picture in my head.





 




Q6: Who's the character with whom you identify yourself the
most?

A: I would say I'm closest to K.C. and Ryen. I struggled with my identity a lot when I was younger. I was weak at times and gave into pressure. I didn't take the lead in my own life, and I could be a follower. That's why they're my favorite heroines. They're real.












Q7: If you had a date with a character from Fall Away series, who would that be and why?

A: Ugh! They're like my kids! I can't date them ;))) Okay, okay... I suppose Jax. He's the most exciting to me.














Q8: Where there persons who didn't believe that you will succeed? Did your family support you?

A: I had a job when I started writing, so it was just really considered a hobby, but they always supported me. No one was against it.











Q9: Who is your biggest fan from your family?

A: Probably my daughter. She's only eight, but she always asks how my day went, how many words I wrote, and she loves helping me organize my swag and be my assistant at signings. She's so awesome.
















Q10: Were there moments when you wanted to quit writing?

A: Oh, lots! It's hard relying on your brain to have good ideas in a timely manner, and it's very hard disappointing people when they don't like a story. But there are more pros than cons, so I keep going.




 











Q11: What motivates you to go on?

A: Wine. I like wine. It keeps me happy when I'm stressed.

 















Q12: Do you have a favorite quote? Or a favorite motto?

A: Steel is forged in fire. (Basically, bring on the struggle, because it makes us stronger.)





 












Q13: What is your favorite song or artist?

A: I don't have a favorite song. Music is like a religion to me, so all music is pretty precious, but I love Silvershair's Neon Ballroom album, and tons of other artists and songs. It really just depends on the mood I'm in. Sometimes it's angry rock and sometimes it's reggae. Lol.

 







Q14: Are there moments when you feel like you can't write or you have no ideas? What do you do about that?

A: Oh, of course. Everyone gets blocked. I need to quiet myself and seclude myself from distractions. Sometimes I drive or shower. I just need a place away from everyone where my mind can wander.











 Q15: What's your favorite book or author?

A: My favorite book is The Night Circus, but I don't have a favorite author. I just one-click books that grab me by the blurb.



















Q16: What's your favorite genre to read?

A: Suspense! Although I do love a little romance in there.






  




Q17: Besides writing, do you have another passion?

A: Hmm... I LOVE cooking! Probably because I also like to eat. Lol. I also fancy myself an amateur wine connoisseur. I've been educating myself on how wine is made, etc.








Q18: Can you describe yourself in 3-5 words?

A: Dreamer, quiet, impatient. 



Q19: What's your favorite thing about yourself?

A: I like that I'm fine not joining the crowd. I can stand on my own just fine, and it took me a long time to learn how to do that.









Q20: A perfect day in your life. How would that be?

A: A perfect day for me would be a roadtrip day. I love to drive, listen to music, and just watch the scenery change. It gives me a chance to get lost in my head.










Q21: What is your favorite place in this world?

A: New Orleans. 












Q22: What would be the first thing you'd say to the whole world, if you had the chance?

A: Probably what I said in my author's note at the end of Punk 57. It gets better, you are important, and you can't be replaced. Hang on. You'll find your tribe.










Q23: If you could change one thing about the world, what would that be?

A: I would make recycling mandatory everywhere and redirect politician's spending accounts to feed hungry children. And I would make sure Supernatural stayed on Television. 









Q24: What would you say to a person who has a dream so big that others would call it impossible?


A: There's always a way, and history is filled with stories of people who succeeded againts the odds.











Q25: Is it better to be perfect and late, or good and on time?

A: Perfect like what? You mean mentally ready or how we look? If you mean mentally ready, I'd say yes. It's better to pe prepared and late. 








































Comments